Monday, March 13, 2006


So, what were we thinking when we bought this, out first oil painting ("Aft" 1997 10" x 8")? Well, it was less than $1k (much less) so it was in the right price range. And, you know, I was about to say that we weren't thinking about "collecting" but then I guess we were since there were, of course, many other of Veerakeat's works (see previous post for more info about him) at higher prices that we would have liked to have purchased had we the funds. So, in the sense that we desired one of his works for our (as yet nonexistent) collection we were "collecting" already and not simply filling space. This should have been clear to me since, well, 10" x 8" ain't really wall filler material. Then again, as I think back, originally this work hung in the 600 sqft place we started out in and it was hung in a very prominent location. So wall filling wasn't so important after all.

Why did we want one of his works? I think it 's the energy of his work. He brings a sense of movement to the everyday (and this is actually one of his few figurative pieces) that we love. He's also very good, IMHO, at rendering light. As a sailor, that's how it looks on the water. The perspective also gives me a sense of how it feels. I can almost feel the deck underneath me when I look at it. I also found it very cool that he first painted the canvas red (especially since it's a water piece) and then painted over that. I had never heard of that before, although I've seen it since.

Anyway, with this painting began our love affair with Veerakeat's work resulting in our owning 9 paintings, many of them small ones like this (I dream of a day the SFMOMA asks us to lend them ours for a "Petite Veerakeat" exhibition), and one 4' x 4' that I'll profile another time.

UPDATE
I'm told that the proper way to list art dimensions is HxW, so that would make "Aft", shown above, 8x10.

8 Comments:

Blogger Edward_ said...

Congratulations Crionna and Melicious!

The site looks great, the writing is refreshing, and I very much look forward to seeing and learning about your adventures in collecting.

all the best,
e_

5:00 AM, March 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Edward!

7:15 AM, March 14, 2006  
Blogger John Sanchez said...

very nice and of great interest. I find your approach to "collecting" much more realistic to many of us. I love your choice of works to display of Veerakeat's

7:01 PM, March 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks John. Your night scenes have a haunting feel and the glassy look of the newest one is pretty interesting. Nice work and good luck with your show!

11:35 PM, March 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the other comments. Your writing about your colecting is refreshing - honest, direct, smart, unpretentious. Look forward to reading more. Cheers from Montreal, Mark.

6:22 AM, March 16, 2006  
Blogger crionna said...

Thanks Mark! I'm looking forward to perusing your site more carefully when I return home. I'm liking the river pieces.

12:33 PM, March 17, 2006  
Blogger John Sanchez said...

Thank you Crionna for the comment. "Haunting" is an intersting way of looking at them. Most people stop at "moody" when they probably really do mean "haunting". The show went way beyond my expectations. Now I can afford to particapate with my gallery in Chicago's next month's NOVA fair. Thank you

9:20 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger crionna said...

Congrats John!

9:41 AM, March 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home